Configuring Western Digital MyBook World Edition II.
Western Digital MyBook World Edition II NAS device is running Linux distro internally.
Upgrade to latest firmware (currently 02.00.18 )
- Start WD Shared Storage Manager at: http://mybookworld/
- Stop MioNet in the Manager General Setup/WD Anywhere Access Settings
- Make sure that all shares on your LAN are disconnected, easiest way is to power off (hold button for 4 sec) and power on the device (hold button for 1 sec)
- Select General Setup/Upgrade the System Firmware (not upgrade will wipe out any changes you have made to the device). It is highly recommended to connect NAS device to power battery backup, so the firmware upgrade is not interrupted.
Enable SSH access to MBWE
- Create at least one user account in Manager File Sharing/User Management
- See Hacking WD MyBook World Ed wiki and consult First Steps With MBWE document.
Remove MioNet from MBWE device
- Do not install MioNet on your PC, it is causing problems, slows down the device and unless you want to share the device over internet, it is not worth it.
- To remove MioNet from MBWE device, login to the device using ssh and http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-26137/dissable-mionet-bricks-mybook
Adding external USB drives
- Format USB drive(s) as FAT32 (NTFS would be read only); I had to do it on Ubuntu using GPart partition editor
- Connect the drives possibly over self powered USB hub
- Check if the drives are visible and mounted at /shares/external/…
- Create new Shared Folder(s) for each external USB disk volume
Mount enable external shares in Samba
- Edit /var/oxsemi/smb.conf and add following:
valid users=youruser www-data
write list=youruser www-data